Saturday, March 20, 2010

"I will come to you"

Seeing as I haven't written anything recently, I figured that it was about time that I did again. Thinking about what to write, I recalled a powerful scripture that has a had a prominent place throughout my life. John 14:18 reads,
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
As I look back and consider all the things that have happened throughout my life, I realize that time and again, this truth has been manifest to me, not only in my own life, but also in the lives of so many who are close to me. It seems like in any time that things are rough, the Lord places those individuals or those tender mercies into my life that will help to carry me when I feel like I can do no more on my own.

But more than anything, I have seen the love of the Savior in the lives of those I love. As I have been called upon to help them when they are in the depths of despair, I have felt the power of Lord within me as I have been able to feel the love of Christ fill me. I have grown to know that the Lord will always fulfill His promise given in D&C 84:88 where He said,
And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.
Those angels are real. Whether seen or unseen, mortal or immortal, they come unto us when we need them most. Sometimes,I believe, we are called upon to be those angels to those around us. Feeling the power of God within me to do that which I never would have been able to do otherwise has made me feel so grateful for all that our Savior has done for us. Suffering and dying for even the most sinful soul so that He would be able to understand all the heartache, pain, and despair that we would face, He has shown love beyond what I can comprehend. Yet, I have felt that love and know that He will always support us in whatever struggle we face.

However, besides gratefulness for the love that He has shown unto me, I have felt the deepest humility in all that I've experienced. More than ever, I have felt the same way that Ammon must have felt when he declared in Alma 26:12,
Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.
I have felt the power of God and know that it is only through that power that I can really do anything of great importance. I have literally seen miracles and have participated in them, praising His name, knowing that it was only through Him that I could do them.

In all that I've learned in recent years, possibly the greatest is that the Lord will come unto us, never leaving us comfortless. He will always support us when we've fallen and begin to lose hope in ever rising again. And because of that, it is so important to always be a willing instrument in the Lord's hands, for we never know when we may called on to be an angel for a loved one, a friend, or a stranger in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment